Health and Wellbeing in the Workplace
When looking at managing mental wellbeing and stress from an organisational perspective, there are two key aspects you need to consider:
- Preventing mental ill health caused by work.
- Dealing with mental ill health when an individual is at work (whether or not the cause is work).
Duty of care to employees
Employers have a duty of care under the Health and Safety at Work Act (1974) to protect the health, safety and welfare of all employees at work, which includes from psychological hazards. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has identified six key areas of work design that, if not properly managed, are associated with poor health, lower productivity, increased accident and sickness absence rates and can cause stress in the workplace.Contact Us
The Management Standards are:
DEMANDS - workload, work patterns and work environment
CONTROL - how much say the person has in the way they do their work
SUPPORT - amount of encouragement, sponsorship and resources provided by the organisation, manager and colleagues
RELATIONSHIPS – promoting positive ways to avoid conflict and dealing with unacceptable behaviour
ROLE – whether people understand their role and ensuring no conflicting roles
CHANGE – how organisational change is managed and communicated
Supporting mental health in the workplace
- Training line managers to identify when there may be a problem and how to manage it.
- Use and promote an EAP/Mental Health First Aiders. An EAP helps employees deal with personal problems that might adversely affect their work performance, health and wellbeing. [link to EAP/MHFA course]Perform an individual stress risk assessment if an employee is struggling at work due to mental ill-health.
- Identify possible temporary adjustments that may help an employee, such as reduced hours, flexibility, more breaks to manage symptoms, reduced responsibilities, longer deadlines and working from home. Talk to the person – they may be the best judge of what would help them at that time.
- Occupational health referral to understand fitness for work or appropriate adjustments to support the employee at work.
We can help support you with managing all aspects of mental health at work. We can provide help with:
- Mental health policy development
- Organisational and individual stress risk assessments
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Counselling or wellbeing support for employees
- Mental Health First Aid training
- Management training on mental health issues in the workplace
- Stress management and resilience training for employees and managers
- Workplace wellbeing programmes
Find out how we can support you in managing mental health in the workplace.
I’ve known Debbie ever since I started my business over eight years ago. Whenever I’ve needed occupational health support, Debbie is right there for me. She has never let me down and everything she has done for me has been of the highest quality. Her professionalism and understanding of the subject is second to none and I have no hesitation whatsoever in recommending her services to anyone that needs an occupational health service.
I have worked with Debbie on a number of occasions and she has become my ‘go to’ occupational health advisor. She is both professional and pragmatic, builds a great rapport with employees and employers alike and produces reports in quick time. Quite simply, the best OH advisor I have worked with.
SA Law has enlisted the expert assistance of Debbie Holder for occupational health support over a number of years on behalf of numerous clients. We have always found her to be approachable and helpful in what can often be very difficult circumstances for our clients. Her advice is timely, comprehensive and comes at a very reasonable fee when compared with a number of other occupational health providers. We would have no hesitation in recommending her services to others.
Debbie is our trusted advisor for OH matters and we regularly refer our clients to her. Debbie’s approach means her advice and reporting is always clear and concise and has really helped our clients navigate some tricky situations. We wouldn’t hesitate to recommend Debbie and Occupational Health Services.
I have used Occupational Health Services for a range of employee health matters. I find the service very responsive, flexible, medically sound and professional taking into consideration both the employees’ and employers’ situation. The reports are detailed to a high standard to allow the business to review possible support and the next steps with the employee and Occupational Health Services will always advise if a further assessment may be needed.
After working with a variety of occupational health providers over the years, I have never worked so closely with a provider who genuinely cares about our colleagues but also about our business. Occupational Health Services Ltd understand our business and spend time to understand our colleagues too. They are always at the end of a phone to give advice, support and give confidence to colleagues working with them for the best outcomes for all.
Debbie has been assisting us with all of our OH needs since 2015 and I can honestly say nothing is too much trouble, quick turnaround if needed, with excellent professional assessments and advice given. Would recommend.
Occupational Health Services Ltd has greatly assisted many of my clients and their staff in assessing health issues and providing helpful guidance on road maps to improved health and attendance.
We have worked with Occupational Health Services Ltd for eight years now and the service Debbie has provided has been excellent. She always responds to us within a few hours and is very accommodating to our needs. We feel really confident that our employees will have a positive experience with Debbie, even at a time when perhaps they are not positive themselves. As an employer with a relatively lean head count, we do not feel compromised or exposed with the advice Debbie provides to employees, and instead, take real benefit about how best to return employees to full health in the workplace. Would highly recommend.